Silverlight support

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Jun 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I am facing challenge convincing the business for using Silverlight in place of jQuery in Orchard. 

The scenario is -

We need to implement a rotating banner on website, now this can be implemented both as jQuery and we can embed a Silverlight plug-in.

The challenge is -

With Silverlight, the admin user will not be able to update the individual images (because it is in .xap file), whereas it is possible using jQuery (as it is a scripting language).

Is there already an out of the box solution that can address this issue? 

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM

One of the themes (contoso or something from has a image slider / banner that you could use.   Although it's not too difficult to whip one up in jQuery. You may also want to try some of the modules in the Gallery to help you manage it, but the reality is, it's just a little bit of html and javascript, so you could really just drop it in anywhere. 

Why use Silverlight or Flash when you can use JavaScript or jQuery to do the same thing.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM

From Silverlight you could call a service on the website to get a list of images.

You'd need some sort of feed; Orchard has a built-in customisable feeds system. Or you could consider Media Garden (a set of modules I'm developing) which has its own media playlist system, which will support images. Unfortunately the playlist system has some missing pieces - it is usable, just not easily. Should be ready by, say, early next week.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Thank you for your inputs. I am not quite sure on the kind of user experience jQuery can provide as compared to Silverlight. If calling a service can do the job, will Silverlight not be a better option?

However, on the flip side Silverlight requires an install by the user (if not already installed on users PC) to view it but jQuery doesn't.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Well, it depends how awesome a user experience you think an image slider can actually be. In my experience it's best to keep these things simple and not detract from the website content. On the other hand it depends what type of site you're building.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I would strongly recommend sticking to non-plugin technology if you can. Unless you have a compelling requirement to use Silverlight (but calling a web service is not it as jQuery does that just fine), just use jQuery.

This being said, Silverlight should work fine but in this specific case you don't need it.