Recommendation on grid lists

Topics: Writing themes
Jun 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Hello, I have a grid that we're implementing in our site that looks like: http://d.pr/PEmf I can easily just have my content managers deal with the <table> html, but I would like to have a nice interface in /admin for them to manage it, like they would any other custom content types I create for them.

However, I don't want to ask them to create a new content item for every single one of those rows, that would be way overkill, especially in managing order or items etc. At that point it would be easier to manage the <table> html. 

The only idea I have, off the top of my head, is to create an entire module around this problem, but I'm afraid that'll take me a couple of days to perfect. If anyone has advice I'd love to hear it.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Storing each of those rows as individual items isn't really overkill ... it means the system is still extensible and you have to do very little work to set it up. Clicking "New" to make a new item each time isn't really that hard, but I've been doing some work in one of my modules towards making bulk item management generally much easier. In fact the module (Mechanics) already lets you build rows of edit forms, just right now it's not perfected enough to give you exactly the UI you're after - although it's not far off.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

My main hangup is ordering items. I don't want to force the content to alpha sorting, but I also don't want to ask the content manager to have to manage ordering via a field that you have to edit for every single item in the list if you're doing a large re-order. Does the Mechanics module get close to helping manage sorting like say the "Widget" page manages sorting?