Problem with vs2010

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Jun 6, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Hi, when i try to build orchard i recive the following error:

The type or namespace name "Blog" does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Can you help me ?

Thanks 

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Where did you get the source code from?

If you've cloned the repository are you sure you got the entire set of changes?

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM

i have download orchard from codeplex http://orchard.codeplex.com/releases/59918/download/227334

i try to run orchard in webmatrix and no problem but in vs2010 no.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Try running a Build->Clean->Rebuild. If that does not work, make sure you've actually downloaded the source release and build. I've done this multiple times and I never had any problems

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Nothing i still have the same problem, The strange thing is that it works with webmatrix.

do you know if VS2010 must have some specific dependencies?

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Try the latest version download at http://orchard.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/731b0c5433a3. I've got it this morning and ran the build without any issues.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Are you opening the full Orchard.sln file (which should have a whole load of different projects in it), or just the Orchard.Web site folder?

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM

i download the link below and i open orchard.web.1.1.30\orchard site folder.

Application Orchard.Web.1.1.30.zip

application, 8361K, uploaded Apr 11 - 22896 downloads
Jun 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Orchard.Web is not Orchard.Source.

You want Orchard.Source for vs2010

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Or clone the repository: http://orchardproject.net/docs/Setting-up-a-source-enlistment.ashx

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM

With version 1.3, I open a working project in VS2010 (from WebMatrix).  When VS builds it, first off there's an error from the Markdown module (a guy on StackOverflow had the same thing).  So I remove Markdown and build again... and it comes up with the same error that youngfox got in June: "The type or namespace name "Blog" does not exist in the namespace 'Orchard' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

If I manage to fix that, how many more errors are to come?

Sigh... I shouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing.  I just want to fill my CMS with content.  I'd happily stick with WebMatrix, except for the fact that it doesn't have Source Code Control support... that's why I moved to VS.  But Orchard has build errors in VS.

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Well, you may want to take your WebMatrix comments to the people who are actually building it. They have a forum.

If you want to compile from Visual Studio, you need the full source code. The smaler WebPI package does not require compilation. In fact, it will not compile if you try, as you've discovered.

Quoting the release notes:

What file to download?

If you just want to use Orchard and don't care about the source code, Orchard.Web.1.3.9.zip
is what you want to use, preferably through the WebPI instructions.

If you want to take a look at the source code, OrchardSource.1.3.9.zip is fine.

If you want to setup a development environment for patch or module development,
you should clone the repository by following the instructions here:
http://orchardproject.net/docs/Setting-up-a-source-enlistment.ashx

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Thanks Bertrand.

Actually I meant "Orchard" when I said "WebMatrix" not being ready, but I've removed that comment now.  Actually my experience with Orchard CMS is currently better than with Umbraco or DNN.

There's a mismatch here... WebMatrix is a good starting point, and it has that enticing button to open the website in VS2010.  So it's not surprising that someone like me would click it.  I don't particularly care about the source code... I just want an environment that has SVN.  Also it's my understanding that MS want new developers to start with WebMatrix and gravitate to VS.

So it would seem to me that you would save a lot of scratched heads and logged discussions here if the Orchard "WebPI" package did build ok in VS... is that possible?

Or, alternatively, there should be a way for you to signal in your smaller WebPI package that "it does not build in VS" so that WebMatrix knows not to display that button.

I note that there's nothing in your quote from the release notes that says "it will not compile" so I hope you will understand my confusion.

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Yeah, I agree, I hate that WebMatrix button. I must have answered that question about 50 times already because of it.

No, the webpi package will never build. Removing the csproj file should improve things: it should never have been there in the first place.