Field in Part has no Settings

Topics: Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I noticed that there will be no settings shown for fields in Part (if you edit a Content Part).
I tested it with the Taxonomy Module and my field.

But the Fields in the Content Item do have settings.
Do you have this bug too?

PS: It wouldn't be such a big deal if i could access the fields of a content item but there is only a property for the xml data)

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Can you please file a bug for this? Thanks.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:15 PM

NO, it's not a bug, it's by design, and it's awesome ;)

When you define a field at the Part level, then the settings are different per content type, so you can actually change them when you edit the Content type itself.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Sébastien's right. I was confused.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Hi Sebastien & Bertrand

I think there might be a bug here. Sebastien said "the settings are different per content type" but I'm not seeing this behavior.

When attaching a field to a part and then seeing its settings in the type editor certainly infers that it is expected that field settings will be different per type, but when I add a field to a part and change the settings from the type editor page those settings are persisted between all types that have the part attached.

Steps to reproduce:

• Add an Orchard Date/Time field to the Title Part.
  • Edit the Page content type and change the Display Option setting to Date Only.
  • Now edit the Blog Post content type, note that the Display Option is Date Only. Change it to Time Only.
  • Go back to the Page content type and notice that it is Time Only.

The settings appear to be saved in only one record in the [Settings_ContentPartFieldDefinitionRecord] table, there isn't any pointer to which type the settings are applied to, which seems to be why the same settings are used for each instance of the part:

<settings DisplayName="Date Time" DateTimeFieldSettings.Display="TimeOnly" DateTimeFieldSettings.Required="False" />

Is this behavior expected, or as Sebastien says should the settings be unique for each type?

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Please file a bug.

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM