Generic Null Reference Exception building widget

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
May 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I built a module to create UrgentIssues in the database. I got that all working fine from the sample tutorials.

I then started building a widget (CurrentIssuesWidget) to pull certain ones based on specific criteria (IsApproved and IsActive). Once I got it set up and added the widget to the site, it's giving me a very generic "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" exception that I can't see the source of (see full error below). This error only shows up on the front end.

Here is the structure I have set up:

UrgentIssue
- Controllers
- - HomeController.cs
- Drivers
- - CurrentIssuesDriver.cs
- - UrgentIssuesDriver.cs
- Handlers
- - CurrentIssesHandler.cs
- - UrgentIssueHandler.cs
- Models
- - CurrentIssues.cs
- - UrgentIssue.cs
- Scripts
- - Web.Config 
- Services
- - UrgentIssueService.cs
- Views
- - EditorTemplates
- - - Parts
- - - - UrgentIssue.cshtml
- - Parts
- - - CurrentIssues.cshtml
- - - UrgentIssue.cshtml
- - UrgentIssue.cshtml
- Migrations.cs
- Module.txt
- Placement.info 
- Routes.cs
- Web.Config

Let me know if you need to see the contents of any of them. I don't want to paste in all that source code to begin with.

Exception:

Server Error in '/Orchard' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

Line 1:  @{
Line 2:      RouteValueDictionary routeValues = Model.RouteValues;
Line 3:      Html.RenderAction(routeValues["action"] as string, routeValues["controller"] as string, routeValues);
Line 4:  }

Source File: c:\Projects\OrchardTest\Orchard.Web\Core\Routable\Views\Routable.HomePage.cshtml    Line: 3 

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Orchard.Widgets.Filters.WidgetFilter.OnResultExecuting(ResultExecutingContext filterContext) +2523
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +69
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +785284
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +785284
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionResult actionResult) +265
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +785360
   System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +159
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +335
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.b__5() +62
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.b__0() +20
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.b__d() +54
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass4.b__3() +15
   System.Web.Mvc.ServerExecuteHttpHandlerWrapper.Wrap(Func`1 func) +41
   System.Web.HttpServerUtility.ExecuteInternal(IHttpHandler handler, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm, Boolean setPreviousPage, VirtualPath path, VirtualPath filePath, String physPath, Exception error, String queryStringOverride) +1363

[HttpException (0x80004005): Error executing child request for handler 'System.Web.Mvc.HttpHandlerUtil+ServerExecuteHttpHandlerAsyncWrapper'.]
   System.Web.HttpServerUtility.ExecuteInternal(IHttpHandler handler, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm, Boolean setPreviousPage, VirtualPath path, VirtualPath filePath, String physPath, Exception error, String queryStringOverride) +2419
   System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Execute(IHttpHandler handler, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm, Boolean setPreviousPage) +275
   System.Web.HttpServerUtilityWrapper.Execute(IHttpHandler handler, TextWriter writer, Boolean preserveForm) +94
   System.Web.Mvc.Html.ChildActionExtensions.ActionHelper(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String actionName, String controllerName, RouteValueDictionary routeValues, TextWriter textWriter) +838
   System.Web.Mvc.Html.ChildActionExtensions.RenderAction(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String actionName, String controllerName, RouteValueDictionary routeValues) +56
   ASP._Page_Core_Routable_Views_Routable_HomePage_cshtml.Execute() in c:\Projects\OrchardTest\Orchard.Web\Core\Routable\Views\Routable.HomePage.cshtml:3
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() +280
   System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +104
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +173
   System.Web.Mvc.ViewResultBase.ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context) +384
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass1c.b__19() +33
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionResult actionResult) +265
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +785360
   System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +159
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +335
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.b__5() +62
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.b__0() +20
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.b__d() +54
   Orchard.Mvc.Routes.HttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) in d:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs:148
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +453
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +371

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.225

May 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I grabbed the full source and debugged and found the problem in WidgetFilter.cs is on line 68:

66:            var zones = workContext.Layout.Zones;
67:            foreach (var widgetPart in widgetParts) {
68:                if (activeLayerIds.Contains(widgetPart.As<ICommonPart>().Container.ContentItem.Id)) {
69:                    var widgetShape = _contentManager.BuildDisplay(widgetPart);
70:                    zones[widgetPart.Record.Zone].Add(widgetShape, widgetPart.Record.Position);
71:                }
72:            }

For some reason widgetPart.As<ICommonPart>().Container is null. It's a problem with data in the db because what I did was pull down the source code and just copy over the App_Data directory. When I brought up the site, it gave me that same error as the site I had started customizing with my own module.

Does anyone know what data I might need to clean up to fix this?

Coordinator
May 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM

File a bug, submit a patch.