Publishing module from vs2010 to production machine

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
May 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I've been developing a module on my dev machine and trying to publish it to a production machine's Orchard/Modules folder. For the most part this works and I can enable the new module on the Orchard instance on the production machine. I can even add the Content Part to a Content Type. It's when I go to create a new Content Item of that Content Type that I'm having problems.

The editor template for the Content Part is not showing up like it does on my dev machine. It doesn't error out or anything, it just doesn't show the View for the Content Part's editor. If I hit save it complains that the fields for the custom Content Part are required, so I can't save it.

I deleted the module from the production server and then FileZilla'd the module to it and it works fine. Is this expected behavior forcing me to keep my modules open source or something? I don't mind the source being open on the server, I just like the ease of publishing from VS since this module is only specific to my website and not for public consumption.

May 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Hard to be sure why that's happening; the reason the view doesn't show is probably due to an exception happening somewhere in your driver, you could try looking in logs. Certainly it's not expected behaviour.

Another way to deploy your modules is to package them as nupkg and use the upload file option in the dashboard to install. But really it should make no difference whether you use FTP, VS publish, or nupkg upload - it's all essentially the same thing.

May 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM
Edited May 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM

You're right it had nothing to do with the publishing method, but the fact that's default build action is "None". As soon as I changed that to "Content" it published it and showed the fields fine.