Online examination module

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Localization, Writing modules
May 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Hi All,

I want to create an open source online examination system which can provide online exams for various topics of different languages of the world.

I'm new to orchard and good with mvc3, so need help to understand how can I create an online examination system having following features:

• Admin part that can create categories, tags, exams, exam questions, generate exam code for users etc
  • Online front end for user who search exams by category or tag or any other keyword and attend exam and see results.

There is a lot to extend but I want to understand how can I get started.

Another questions is, do you think orchard can correctly fit into these requirements, what could be the possible way for packaging and update management?

May 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Each of those bits: categories, tags, exams, etc. should be implemented as separate parts / components.

Orchard already includes a Tags part so you could look at that as an example of how this works. If you build your exams as content items then you can just add the existing TagsPart - no need to build that yourself.

Orchard has a built-in packaging and update system for modules, you can do this via the Orchard Gallery feed or set up your own feed.

Pretty much anything is possible in Orchard so yes it can definitely fit all those requirements. You should start by playing around with the system and looking at existing modules to see what it can already do, then start having a look at some of the tutorials for building modules and parts (on