Changing background color of blog posts

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing themes
Apr 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Hi, I run the above website, which was launched from Microsoft WebMatrix.

Even though I lack knowledge on HTML/CSS, I could change the overall background color of my website by reading this article (Customizing Themes).

This time around, I would like to change the background color of my blog posts to either white or light gray so that visitors find them easy to read.

I have to admit that further studying CSS will eventually solve this issue and I will customize my website as I like making my site truely of my own.

But, if it doesn't take much time for you to point me where I should rewrite my My Theme's site.css file to achieve my current goal, I appreciate it.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM

There are some tools available to help you work out these kind of CSS problems.

For Firefox, there's Firebug (

The other browsers have their own developer tools built in.

Basically they allow you to inspect regions of the page and see what existing style rules are there are which CSS files they're coming from, and what CSS classes are on particular elements - so it's much easier to work out how to apply styles to specific places.

It's far easier than looking through HTML source to figure stuff out :)

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Though I regularly use Internet Explorer, I'm now interested in the Firefox tool you suggested. I will try it first :)

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

No problem. Internet Explorer also has built in developer tools since IE7 which do most of the same things as Firebug.