Azure Deployment Upgrade

Topics: General
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Hi,

I have seen a few threads about problems people are having with upgrades being caused my the new Recipie Module not being enabled.  In these cases the fix has been to use the command line tool to enable the module. However, for those of us hosting Orchard on Azure this is not an option. 

What I would like to know is if this stiutaiton with the Recipie module is going to be a problem for Azure deployments,  and if so,  how to fix it?

Cheers

Sam

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Not really: you can deploy additional modules with your Azure package: http://orchardproject.net/docs/Deploying-Orchard-to-Windows-Azure.ashx#Adding_a_Module_to_the_Distribution_0

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM

While i know that you can deploy addtional modules, as I understand it the problem is caused by the Recipie module being disabled when doing an upgrade (as per http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/253925).  As I am about to do an upgrade of my Azure site,  Am I going to hit the same problem??

Does my question make sense??

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Well, you are not going to upgrade directly on Azure, you'll have to do it on your local obx, where you have access to the command-line and then deploy.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:52 AM

I appologise if I am being a bit dense, but i'm not sure I follow you exactly....

Are you suggesting that I somehow deploy Orchard 1.1 to my dev machine, point it at a copy of the Azure database, let it start / upgrade, and then build the Azure package, deploy that to the cloud, and copy my database back up??

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM

How would you do it?

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Well ideally I would like to be able to just deploy the updated package to a staging instace on azure, trigger an upgrade to run, and then switch the production and staging instances over.

Can I assume that the databases are the same for an Azure deployment as they are for a normal deployment??

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Well, I can summon our Azure expert, but from what I understand, your SQL Azure database is accessible from your dev box as well, right? So when you run locally you're still going to hit your production database and will be able to upgrade the configuration of your Azure app from your dev box by doing your upgrade locally. Actually I'm not sure I understand what the alternative is.

But I suppose we should document that. Yes, we definitely should, I'll make sure that's done.