Downloading the Orchard project

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard
Apr 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I've downloaded the Orchard project from the Codeplex site. This opens inside VS2010 as a project.

The thing I want to find out is how can I create a website using this CMS? Once created, how can I leverage all the functionality inside the Orchard Web project to my new project? I am totally confused as to how I can leverage the functionality inside this CMS towards my new project? I've read a lot of stuff about this project, but waht seems to be missing is how to leverage the menu, page, module creation, etc...

Can somebody please clarify? 

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Well you are asking some extremely general questions there. Have you read the documentation on the orchardproject.net website, which covers all of these topics in some detail? Is there anything in specific you aren't understanding there?

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I am reading the docs and following along on the website you suggested:

http://www.orchardproject.net/docs/Getting-Started.ashx#Extending_Orchard_with_Modules_and_Features_5

I am trying to make all the changes on my local machine, then upload later as there is dynamic code I need to write. Plus, I will need to be able to debug and test the site.

From within VS, I can't update the theme. It gives me a read error. I defaulted the VS project to show all files. I then went into the hosting control panel to try and point to my local website, but still gives me an error when I try to install the theme. How can I install a new theme on my local project?

Also, I want to be able to use some of the modules which say they are all installed. How do I go about using them. The docs are very generic and don't give enough info.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM

When looking at the project layout, I don't see a page inside VS that resembles the Home Page view.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM

All I want to do is to be able to create everything locally, debug, test, etc., then when ready, upload the webiste.

From the lack of specific docs, it doesn't specifically show me how to add new menus, pages, etc, locally within the downloaded Orchard project in VS. I don't know how to use the modules with the new pages I create manually. I want to create everything locally, not online dynamically. this is going to be a dynamci website and I need to be able to test & debug.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure (hope) somebody has done what I am outlining to do. It's very simple, but it doesn't seem simple to interact with this CMS and add modules, pages, menus, etc, locally... 

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Yes of course everything you're describing are perfectly normal requirements and this is how any developer works. All of this is typical workflow in Orchard. But, Orchard does have a lot of features and works a bit differently to a typical ASP.NET or MVC project so initially it might not seem obvious where some things are.

I'm developing on my local machine and then deploying to a live server without issues, you just have to find the right workflow that works for you.

Firstly, the database that you create on your local machine can just be published to the server; this works the same as any SQL Server database deployment. The web project can be published thru VS or by FTP, however you prefer to work.

So you can add all your pages, menus, etc., on your local machine and then publish the files and database. This is no different to any other web application.

There are some more advanced workflows available in Orchard that give some extra advantages, and you might want to search the documentation site for information on "Recipes" which allow you to define a set of modules and installation steps. You can also install the Import/Export module allowing you to export data from your local installation and import it on the live site.

You will also want to install the "Designer Tools" module locally to use the Shape Tracing feature. This will tell you where different parts of the template are coming from and help you create templates in your custom theme to override them.

Obviously there are a lot of topics that you are asking about at once and I think it's better to just focus on small issues at first until you get a better idea of how an Orchard website fits together.

So with your specific problem you desbribe of "From within VS, I can't update the theme. It gives me a read error." Can you describe this in more detail please and maybe we can find a solution:

- What do you mean about trying to update the theme in VS? Updating or installing themes is normally done through the admin UI. Do you mean you are just trying to edit the theme, in which case it sounds like a simple read/write permissions error.

- Can you post the error you are seeing? It's hard to know what's going on without knowing what the error is!