advance search for content feature

Topics: Administration, General, Troubleshooting
Apr 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Hi,

I am using search function and trying to search the content word under html widget content. Anyway it can't search and return 0. I have already update the search builder and index.  Can anyone experience it before? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM

HTML widgets shouldn't be included in search; since they are based in layers which could theoretically appear on any matching page, which page would you send the user to for the search result?

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

the user hopes that can do searching the content word across the pages regardless which layer or which pages. If we type some words onto html widget, the user can do searching to find the word and displaying the search result. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM

That HTML widget will appear on many pages. So do you really want every single page it appears on to be listed on search results? Sounds confusing and counter intuitive for your users. If you want something appearing in search results, it must be indexable content with a definitive Url to be viewed on. Would you want navigation menus etc. to also come up in search results?

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM

They hope to have a powerful search function to display whatever the word item in search engine. Definitely yes.. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Edited Apr 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Sorry, it's just not possible. Indexing is a business process; it looks at your content database to determine keywords. There is no way for it to understand anything about what might finally end up on the page composition unrelated to your content. Layers are only linked to content by arbitrary and customisable rules that the indexing process cannot possibly be aware of.

If you want something indexed with a piece of content you have to add a content part or custom field to get indexed. Look at Bertrand's Buy From Amazon tutorial to see how to push such a content part into a Zone, which sounds like what you actually need to do.

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I wouldn't say that it's not possible. It may seem very strange but if that is their requirement, anything is possible with some code.

Still, I would explore alternative ways of executing on that requirement. As Pete is saying, one problem in general with widgets is that they are not specific to a content item but can apply to multiple items according to layer rules. But I'm suspecting your customer really wants HTML content that *is* associated with the specific content item being displayed. So maybe it's more a question of having a way to have multiple HTML pieces in the content item and then dispatching those into zones. This can definitely be done, and it would easily get picked up by search.

Am I understanding the requirement correctly?

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Ok, thanks for your info, randompete. Yeah, bertrand. As long as the html content can be searched by search engine. Then it's already fulfill their requirement. Thanks a lot.