Debugging Orchard Azure on a development environment

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Apr 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Is there any way to debug Orchard Azure without having to re-publish to Azure every time?

I'm having a lot of trouble developing my custom modules and the problems seem to be somehow related to compilation (, but it's difficutl to tell without getting a chance to debug and test in detail.

Any help would be great!

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM

With the next version, 1.1, you should be able to launch the dev fabric directly from Visual Studio, and thus debug using Azure settings and providers.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Thanks Sebastien,

Is the release date anytime near?

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Its today :-)

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Oh great news! I'm downloading it now :)

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:02 AM

One snag I ran into while trying to launch the VS debugger locally against the Orchard Azure solution using Orchard 1.1, Azure SDK 1.4.1 and Visual Studio Web Developer Express 2010 (other than the annoyance that solution folders are not supported in Express, so instigating a number of popup errors when opening the solution), was a System.UnauthorizedAccessException thrown during the initial run which prevented the "Get Started" page from launching.  

Since it might be helpful to others, I was able to fix this by editing the security on the "src\Orchard.Azure\Orchard.Azure.Web\App_Data" folder and granting Modify permissions to user "NETWORK SERVICE".  This is possibly a useful note on the page.