(resolved) RSS Feeds not appearing.

Topics: Administration, Troubleshooting
Apr 2, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Hi there, I just installed Orchard on my server and finally seem to have gotten everything up and running. I noticed that there was no RSS feeds linked in the head. I found some articles in here that allude to those links being something that should be automatic... I'm afraid I can't make sense about how to make those links show up. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Make sure that the feed feature is enabled. Feeds appear automatically on blogs.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Yep, Feed feature is enabled.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Do I have to make the blog content item the home page for the feed link to show up?

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 12:37 AM

The link tag is already in the head section of the page. View source to see it. Feed readers will know where to find it if you just give them the URL of the blog. If you want a link to be rendered on the page, you need to do it yourself in your theme.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:52 AM

No, that's what I mean, it's not showing up in the head section. Can't figure out why. Feeds are enabled. Should the tag be there no matter the content on the page, or should I have to have certain content on the page. I don't have the "Blog" object on the page, I am using the "Recent Posts" object. You can see what I mean here http://allentrevethan.me.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Why are you using a widget rather than make the blog the home page? The widgets are not going to add RSS.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:01 AM

The link is there on the page of the blog itself, http://allentrevethan.me/personal-blog :

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Personal Blog" href="/rss?containerid=16" />

It shouldn't display just because of a recent posts widget that happens to appear on a content page which is nothing to do with your blog. The semantically correct thing to do is have it on the blog page.

You could try setting your blog as the home page instead of using the widget.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Well, clearly I'm new to Orchard, so doing the best I can here. The reason I don't use the blog as the home page is because I didn't like the way it posted the blog title before all the posts. Is there a way to control that? Can you make it render so that it starts with just the posts, rather than showing the title of the blog?

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Yes. Put the following placement.info at the root of your theme:

<Placement>
  <Match ContentType="Blog">
    <Place Parts_Blogs_Blog_Description="-"
           Parts_RoutableTitle="-"/>
  </Match>
</Placement>

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:11 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM

There are also all kinds of other ways to alter templates. Which version of Orchard are you using? 1.1 has a Shape Tracing feature that makes it really easy to create override views for specific situations like this.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound tart, just explaining why things are the way they are :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM

No worries. I think the desert heat is getting to me today. I mean, it's friggin March here, and we're hitting 90F!! Sorry if I'm jumpy. LOL Thanks for the tips, that makes sense. Get's me goin in the right direction. I appreciate the help. I promise, I'm not trying to be "that guy". If there is something in the manual that I've missed, feel free to smack me around and tell me to RTFM... Which, I'm going to go do now about the placement.info. :D

Thanks again, guys. :)

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Hah, well I'm in England so I'm not really sure what that kind of weather feels like :) But yes there are a huge number of ways to extend Orchard and it's impossible to get your head round them them all in one go. What I've seen of the upcoming 1.1 documentation looks like it covers the available tools a bit more thoroughly; I've worked a lot out so far largely by digging through the source, and of course reading most things bertrand or the rest of the team write on here...

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Yeah, it's on my list to get digging, but I wanted to get something up that is functional first since I will be actually using it. I think I got that now. Now I can dig in, and take a look. I'm on 1.0.20 right now. Is 1.1 stable?