Music Industry Related Site w/Orchard

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules, Writing themes
Mar 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hi, first and foremost, congratulations on a great work and thanks for making this great work available to us!! Now to the question, here is what I am planning to do. I have a project that I have to develop (early in the design stage now) that I am considering using Orchard for. This site will be for music industry professionals (Artist, Producers etc.) so it will be heavy with social network features (but this will be for another discussion). The feature that I am about to try and work out (and if I can do this within the Orchard framework, that will be my selling point) is a mp3 player (flash or silverlight) that does not refresh when the user advances through the site (Look At This Site For An Example) (NOTE: Click the "Latest Blog Music" button). Just as a note, before anyone feels like telling me about their dislike for audio on websites, this player will not start unless the user chooses (clicking a UI) and it is a feature that is relavent to the industry. Now the example site user javascript (ajax) for page navigation and I am wondering if there is a way to achieve this the Orchard (MVC3) way?

I am about to start combing through the available documentation and then I am going to do a simple theme (as well as a module) just to get my feet wet and gain a better understanding of the architecture. I would love to incorporate the mp3 player in these early bits so I can make a decision if I am going to be able to use Orchard in its current form for this project. I am not against any ideas, everything can play at this point (i.e. ajax, jquery even iframes). However, I dont have alot of time before I have to start (about 3 weeks) so I need to give myself enough time to eveluate other frameworks if needed.

Just to give you an understanding of the site to be developed, aesthecally it will look something like this site that Universal has up for an Artist/Producer named Swizz Beatz. With many of the social network features of this site by Timbaland.

WARNING: the (2) previously mentioned example websites have audio that kicks in on page load! TURN YOUR SPEAKERS DOWN!

Further, I will also need to incorporate some e-commerce features but the product purchases will be made with credits (credits will be purchased and allocated to the users account). This design decision was made because most of the products for purchase will be under $10 usd and this way the merchant fees can be kept @ a minimum.

All in all, I would like to use Orchard for this project, I really like what you guys have created and I feel that this project will have a healthy community (which I plan on contributing to with some of the bits from this project). Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Well, the question is not whether this is possible in Orchard but how is this possible in HTML at all. The only way that something can persist across page navigation would be to use frames and keep the player in a separte frame (not iframe).

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Or, use deep linking in the address bar with Ajax to intercept every link click as well as the back/forward browser buttons, and perform an Ajax update of the appropriate page region.

I did this in ASP.NET, it's possible using UpdatePanel if you run everything through a single ASPX file, but extremely hard and there are lots of tricky little obstacles :)

In normal MVC it'd be far more difficult unless you just had one big action, which kind of defeats the point of MVC.

In Orchard ... well, I'm actually kind of working on something which could enable this kind of scenario. But I don't really want to say much about it until I at least have a working prototype!

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Check this out:  It works site wide....

I installed in Orchard @ // Its a Hobby Site!!! Not gonna be done for a couple months... So go easy on critiques... please

TJ Havens

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM

@xotj123 : That player works because it's iframing in your site on the top level. Whenever you click on a link, it redirects the iframe container to the url of the link you selected. This is the simplest way to do it. I'm not sure there's a way to do it exclusively to Orchard.

May 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I found this control here:, it allows the audio to continue where left off when page changes. I'm sure it could e tweaked somehow....

What do you think?