Orchard Book

Topics: General
Mar 18, 2011 at 7:18 AM
Edited Mar 18, 2011 at 7:20 AM

First of all I must say I'm just an average .NET developer (so not an expert) interested in technology, methodology (design patterns etc). But first and foremost I want to implement business requirements. So not just experimenting with technology for the technology.

Today I'm developing a web application, one of the parts is content management, but the other 2 parts are a web LOB-app  and a mobile module accessing information. I thought (and also started) using Orchard for the CMS-part and as an umbrella to integrate the other parts. Convinced that Orchard has excellent concepts, vision, technology, ... I get too many problems trying to implement what I want to achieve. Of course I can post in discussion forums, which I do, but this means often waiting days for an answer. Often the problems I have are blocking my development. You'll understand that when developing for business you can't afford this way of working. What, in my opinion (for the average developer writing business solutions, is really missing is 1) extensive documentation - tutorial, reference manual, ... (more than what is available on the Orchard website) and/or 2) a good (developers) book about Orchard.

Today I'm into a phase where I'm considering moving to another product (eventually SharePoint Foundation 2010) for what I want to achieve: CMS and possibility to integrate LOB-webapps. The reason is only a matter of non-availablilty of documentation, books, ... as already stated I want to proceed with my development.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I share your frustration.

Unfortunately great documention is often associated with mature technologies. There are probably far more great books on COBOL than on streaming video with HTML5.

This is a conundrum.

One resource you may want to consider before moving from Orchard is:

LIDNUG: A deep tour around Orchard Project with Bertrand Le Roy, an on-line event on Monday, March 21, 2011.

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM

was almost spooky reading your use case and how you wanted your LOB sitting under the CMS-part. Exactly what i'm hoping/expecting to do.

Your ref: I'm just an average .NET

Or perhaps more a builder than an architect? I think the distinction's worth making cuz i think there's more than a few builders looking to achieve similar goals.

Whatever level of coverage documentation can have at this stage of this complex of a project, is maybe secondary to the idea of the 'processes' to follow to implement various web-parts. I think what's missing is the lack of visual representations and modelings - screencasts...ideally, screencasts that followup on themselves. So i'm really, really looking forward to

Part of the problem is how many different points of postings there are - stackoverflow, here, linked in, twitter, - [i've heard tell there's more.] If only we had some tool that would let us thread together various media elements at various points in time with something that would glue them into a comprehensible mass. Some way to filter and aggregate things like that into my own site for my own consumption.

Even so, i think (speaking as a fellow 'average dev') it's worth sticking with Orchard and concentrating short-term efforts on getting good (to perhaps above average) at building strong mvc3 apps with assumption that the architects will get it together soon enough that this talk of 'plug it in and it works' starts to hit it's stride.