Orchard is fantastic (but spooky)

Topics: General
Mar 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Over the last year or so I've been developing my own framework and CMS, having found other offerings in the ASP.NET space to be severely lacking (mainly in terms of flexibility, modularity, ease of templating, etc.).

The project was becoming very hard to finish, however, due to limited time, small team of just myself, and the endless scenarios I kept realising it would need to support.

I just discovered Orchard and for the first time I'm looking at a framework that does things pretty much the way I envisioned. What is frankly eerie are a couple of concepts that look like they were directly lifted from my own code (of course I'm not suggesting this is the case, but it's downright spooky!)

In particular, I had a whole concept called Shaping with an identical premise to the Shapes in Orchard.

Additionally I had a class called Composite with almost identical functionality to ContentPart, even down to having the same methods named As<T> and Get<T>.

While it's pretty sad to ditch what amounts to months of work, it's also very positive; it feels like Orchard has taken my ideas and shown me how they can work, providing a solid base to extend from with my own ideas. So my plan at this stage is to move forward with Orchard and hopefully be able to integrate a number of other ideas I've had that could really add something to the framework.

I've got some existing components and code that I'm planning to package as Orchard modules (in particular, a Silverlight-based file uploader with progress bar and multi-select, and a media player / playlist service component). Unfortunately much of my previous work was based around WebForms components; but I'm really starting to like MVC and Razor, and really am appreciating no longer worrying about the frankly arcane Control lifecycle, ViewState, and other quirks of WebForms.

Pete

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM

I feel the same way, although I haven't gone as far as to write a CMS myself, I've made a lot of sites with limited CMS capabilities and looked at a lot of different frameworks out there and thought about how to create a great CMS a lot. Orchard is exactly how I would have made it if I were to write my own CMS. The more I dig into orchard, the more I love it.