Users, roles, membership and profile data design - account creation date

Topics: General
Mar 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I'm looking at the user account design and noticed that when a new user is created there is no registration date recorded.  It would be a good to record and display it so an administrator can purge accounts that were never activated when email verification is used.  Along the same reasoning a last log on would be useful as well.  Many people register, do something once and never return.  I'd consider that user data. 

I'm new to all this so I'm not sure where to log suggestions like this or if I should...  be gentle and I'll learn.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Sure, all good suggestions. You can add suggestions such as this to the Issue Tracker.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I am in need of this functionality. Has something like this been implemented yet? We need a way to telling when user accounts are created.

Short-term (very short) we are considering the addition of a column to the UserPartRecord with a defaut set to getdate() and not include it in Orchard. For immediate needs we only need to query the data, no act on it in Orchard. Any forseeable problems with this as an immediate hack-fix?

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

That will probably work as expected. Another approach might be to create a custom part and attach it to the User content type. That custom part could contain the registration date as well as other properties. To learn more about this apporach, have a look at the following thread:

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

personally, I'd just add any needed funcionality directly to the Orchard.User module.  Add the required column via migration.  I went with the approach of creating a custom part, and in the end it it just made a more complicated solution.  

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM

oh and watch the default date.  if you use the migration to try to set a default date, it will hard code the date to be the date the migration is run, not the date the record is created.