How to switch to Windows Authentication?

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Feb 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I have found the text file App_Data\Sites\Default\Settings.txt, but I (like some others) am quite distressed at using an actual SQL account to access the db. I would really like to use Windows Authentication in order to connect to a db. Can I paste the relevant connection string into that text file, or is another solution required?

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Yes, if you want to direct Orchard to a different database, you can just update settings with the new connection string (once you've moved your data of course).

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I am actually not looking to move the data, I am still using the original database. All I want to do is switch my SQL Server away from mixed mode and have it only on Windows Authentication. This will also require that the connection string be changed. Can I just update the connection string with the type of string required for Windows Authentication, or is more necessary?

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Did you ever get this working?  I would also like to use Windows Auth to connect to my SQL Server.  Thanks.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

You know, this was over a year and a half ago. I’m actually not sure. In fact, I don’t think so. I haven’t touched my Orchard installation in some time, so I can’t remember the specifics.

Just thought I’d reply, so that this doesn’t seem like another “OP Abandoned” thread.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.  I kind of came to the same conclusion and am just dealing with it.  It's a little mind-boggling that it even uses SQL Auth to begin with.  FWIW, Umbraco does the same thing.  Except for these two, I haven't seen anything use SQL Auth in *years*.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

In case you're talking about the Integrated Security=True attribute, that should work fine. No need for SQL Auth. as far as I know.