Can I use the dev version when committing?

Topics: Troubleshooting
Feb 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM

The last time I fixed a bug on 1.x version and submitted to fork but was told that the issue has been fixed in dev version, which makes me frustrated. If I had known it, I would have spared the debug time.

So I decide to use the dev version now. But if I'll commit some patches, can I submit based on dev version, too?

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM

When submitting patches, please use the default version as described in this document: .

Sometimes, a bug can be fixed in the dev branch. However the bug status will then change to "Fixed" or "Closed". One caveat here is to make sure you are submitting a patch for an issue that is "Active" as opposed to "Proposed". The difference is that the bugs that are "Active" have been triaged by the team. There is a very high chance that those bugs will not be fixed without their status being updated to "Fixed", so issues like yours won't happen.

Often people open bugs. They are at that time "Proposed". They can then submit patches for them. In that case, many things can happen:

1. The bug may not make it past the triage, so it becomes invalid.

2. The bug can have a duplicate that is planned to be fixed, so it becomes a duplicate and likely to be fixed somewhere else.

To sum it up, the guidance would be:

1. Use whatever branch is specified at 

2. Make sure the bug you are fixing is "Active".

Now, these are not mandatory, but will make the chances of getting your patch accepted higher.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I have also updated the document, mentioning the Active vs Proposed point. Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Hi Suhacan,

I think I know your meaning.

But usually I just find the bug, and debug it in the source code, then submit the fix. So I should check in the “issue tracker” on codeplex first to avoid duplication, right?

Thanks very much.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Yes, in those cases, looking at the issue tracker for the bug you found, and making a search would definitely help avoid duplication.

Or you could start by searching for Active issues in the issue tracker and send patches for them.

In any case, thank you for your contributions!