Orchard settings tutorial

Topics: Announcements, Writing modules
Feb 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I just wrote the second (and last) part of the tutorial about using Orchard settings feature. It is available here:

Bertrand, I'd like to add this to the main documentation, as settings are on a list of suggested, yet not written topics. Should I copy/paste the articles to the docs wiki, add direct links or maybe create a separate docs article with short introduction and links?

- Piotr

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Hi Piotr & Bertrand,

First, thanks for all of your contributions, help and tutorials, they have been very helpful.

I am hoping you can help me with a module writing issue.  I am currently writing a module much like the Vandelay.Meta module that allows you to add meta tags to each new page that you create.  Only in my module, I want to add Facebook's Open Social Graph meta tags (http://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/).  This will allow a like button to be placed on each page that, when clicked, will grab the OG data such as title, description, thumbnail image url, etc. and make a nice wall post on Facebook.

The problem is that, instead of using the "name" and "content" convention that is the standard for meta tags, the OG meta tags use "property" and "content" as a convention.  OG tags also require that two additional namespaces be added to the html tage so that it ultimately looks like this:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"

The Orchard.Framework.UI.Resources.MetaEntry does not currently have a attribute for "property". It only has "name", "content", "HttpEquiv", "Charset", etc as you would expect. I added the "property" property, but it doesn't work in ny build.

So, I need for my module to do two things:

1. Utilize a "property" attribute of the meta tag rather than a "name" attribute.
  2. Add the additional namespaces to the HTML tag.

Any help you gentlemen could offer would be greatly appreciated.  I am new to Orchard and am very excited about it, but need to understand more about how to construct these modules when extending the Orchard.Framework source needs to be altered.

BERTRAND: I sent you an e-mail earlier today about getting the full source into my solution.  Please disregard.  I hadn't had my coffee yet at the time I asked ;).

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Piotr, please merge the two articles and create a topic on the wiki. I'll then review it and add it to the TOC.

Matt: I think I answered on another thread.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:40 AM

@Bertrand: You did.  Thanks.  Sorry for the cross post.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM

@Bertrand: Hmmm, how to create that? When I try to create a new page on the wiki I get "Access Denied":/

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

What? You don't have an account yet? What are you waiting for?

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

No, no, I have an account ofc - pszmyd:) But for some reason I keep getting Access Denied after logon when I try to add a new page. I created an account a long time ago so maybe that's the cause?

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Ah yes, you don't have permissions to create pages. I created this for you to edit: http://orchardproject.net/docs/Adding-custom-settings.ashx

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Ok, thanks - I'll fill it with content later today.