Storing site in file system

Topics: General
Feb 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Would there be any way to store entire site in the file system besides SQL Compact? I want to collaborate with my colleagues and store all site data in Subversion, being able to commit/update and merge changes from different people. I've searched proposed features for this, but found only request for import/export (

But if Orchard would be able to work with site from files directly (performance doesn't matter, it's only for development), it will simplify collaboration greatly.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:38 PM

You could check-in the SQL CE database but that is not a good approach: the database is too coarse a grain and it will be impossible to sync with more than a couple very disciplined people. I would suggest using the full SQL Server on a central server that everybody's using, a strong backup policy on the database, and source control for the rest of the site.

Working from files only would be a huge feature that I don't think is worth the trouble.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:05 AM

It's been a few months since this thread; just checking back to ensure that the recommended approach for team collaboration is still to use a centralized database, at least in the development environment.  Would it then be a data migration exercise to move the site across environments (e.g., dev->test->prod)?

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM

We have export/import now that may provide a more relevant data deployment path, depending on your specific needs.