Performance - stability

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Feb 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Hi there.

I´m new to orchard and trying to get things running. I installed Orchard using the zip file and followed the instructions from the orchard website. I´m using SQL Express 2008 R2 as the database and local IIS 7.5. I´m able to install orchard and set it up. Orchard starts and I can change various settings and so on. BUT: when I try to create i.e. a new content type and want to add a field or a part, I´m running into troubles. The sytem dos not respond for some time and ends in a "can not display the webpage". When I then push F5 to reload, everything seems to work properly. In general the site responds very slow.

Anyone else got such a problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance and cheers,

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Edited Mar 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM

My performance problems are being caused by the famous "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: serviceKey" error.

To solve this, without knowing about side-effects, I changed the source of ShellRoute.cs. Instead of throwing an exception I return null in "BeginProcessRequest":

public IAsyncResult BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, object extraData) {
                _scope = _workContextAccessor.CreateWorkContextScope(new HttpContextWrapper(context));
                try {
                    return _httpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(context, cb, extraData);
                catch {
                    return null;

Now everything works like a charm.

Cheers, Flo

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:19 AM
Edited Mar 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM

After doing some intense testing, the above mentioned trick doesn´t work either.

What I observed is, that after every third "action" orchard stops responding. If you then hit F5 and try again, everything works as expected. Am I the only one having this problem?

By the way: using firefox everything runs fine. The problem only happens using IE8.

Cheers, Flo

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM

If this still reproduces, can you please file a bug with repro steps in the issue tracker?