How easy would it be to use Orchard like this...

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I want to be able to use the Orchard Backend to manage content (duh), but then I do not want to use the Frontend website they provide, i.e. I wanted to roll my own.  

I want to be able to use the Api's that Orchard provides? to get content from the database and build the site navigation and login/register customers, but not use the actual views, styles or structure they provide out of the box.

Has anybody does this? or is it too much of a pain?

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Sure, you could do that but why would you?

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Yes, you can use the naked Orchard.Framework library and leverage the caching, db abstraction, navigation building features and such. But, as Bertrand said - that makes no real sense, because the greatest power of the framework lies in dynamic UI building by shapes and the modules providing additional features. You are free to override anything you want in the frontend.

I guess the answer to your question is to create your own theme in which you'll provide your own structure (layout, zones), styles, scripts used and such. Orchard was designed for such situations. For example frontend and backend are totally different, but they use just two different themes. I'm currently building a large intranet system based on Orchard, which is nowhere near a typical site/blog, and this approach works like a charm. If I'd have to write everything from the groud up it would take twice as much time.

Could you please give us some more insight on what you'd like to achieve? I'll try to provide you with a more detailed solution.

Cheers, Piotr