Orchard performance

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Hi we are considering orchard for some of our sites which has a moderate load. Its not a really high load but enough for me to have to ask; has orchard been performance tested? If yes, what were the results? Would 50 visits per second to a normal page, like the stadard orchard welcome page, be a problem?

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I've done some light performance testing. Between the cache manager and IIS, once a page has been built and assuming the number of requests per visit (remember each reference on your page, like images and css, is an HTTP request), it wouldn't have any issues with 50 sessions.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM

You should always do your own performance testing in your own environment in order to get useful answers though.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Of course I will do performance tests on my own. Just needed to know if it was pointless to startup the project at all. Also, we wont try it on a "high-load" site first. We will try out some ideas on one of our less visited sites first, and then, if we are successful, try to migrate the rest of our sites in a small to big order.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Well, as a point of comparison (that is worth what it's worth...) http://live.visitmix.com/ is running on Orchard + Azure.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM
Can we get a copy of the source for the site to use as an example.
I am very interested in seeing how the themes were changed to make it all happen.
It’s no big deal, I just would like to have a play and see how it has been done.

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Ask them ;)

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:10 AM

You can use this tool to test a site I built using Orchard:

The server is a GoDaddy VPS running Windows Server 2008 with 2GB of RAM hosting the site.  This site is the only thing running on that box.