newbie question - can Orchard meet my needs?

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Hello,

I am looking to create a Windows Phone 7 application that works side-by-side with a web site and both share the same database and/or call the same web services. For the time being I want to avoid Azure, but it doesn't mean that I won’t use Azure and Windows Workflow in the future.

I have been doing some research on the best platforms/architectures to use for my project, but I am truly at a loss. I am curious if anyone here can please point me in the right direction. I was about ready to bet everything on DotNetNuke until Orchard came around. Now I am confused.

To save time programming, I want to use an existing solution like Orchard or DotNetNuke. I specially like the module/skinning architecture of DotNetNuke, and it seems like Orchard can do the same.

I also want to build it all using best practices like ASP MVC 3 (or MVVM), Prism (if applicable), Expression Blend (if applicable), P&P Ent Library, and Unity. I have never used any of those technologies, but I want to save time and enable re-use.

I am also expecting that the web site will grow so I want to make sure that my solution will be supported by the Web-Farm framework.

Will Orchard meet all my requirements? Should I keep the web site and the Windows Phone 7 application separate? I need to choose a path, please help me decide.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Any comments on this questions?  Anything at all :)

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I am not a Windows Phone 7 development expert, but are not the preferred tools for WinPhone 7 Silverlight and XNA?

Orchard is based uponh MVC3.

That having been said, at lease in theory one could render the view model in Silverlight when the client is a WinPhone 7 and default Orchard views otherwise.

The real question here would be is this something appropriate to "bolt on" to Orchard or is it something that really needs to be baked in to the fundimental design.

Perhaps someone from the core team could comment?

Certainaly the requirement to develop websites that play well on both Windows Desktops and Windows Phone 7 is something that Microsoft must have given some thought to ;-)

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM

It entirely depends on what the web application is doing and unless you tell us a little more we're not going to be of much help. If you just need to build a bunch of web services, ASP.NET MVC or even just ASP.NET + WCF would be enough. Now if there is a need for content management on top of that, then yes, sure Orchard or DNN are both solid choices and you might choose one or the other depending on what features you're after (DNN has a few more years behind it and a much bigger ecosystem of extensions).