Technology selection purposes

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Hi, I'm just begining to lear .net alternative technologiesm, so would like to ask question that will be helpfull to others. 

What was the purpose of choosing every technology you use in project ?

1. MVC 3 but not WebPages

2. Mercurials but not SVN or GIT or TFS

3. NHibernate or not another ORM like EF and bunch others

4. If you could describe advantages of other choosen technologies - it would be very nice

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

1. MVC is better suited for implementing the sort of separation of concerns that we wanted to implement in Orchard. Plus, ASP.NET WebPages did not exist when we started this work. We are using the Razor view engine though, so the templating language is the same as in WebPages.

2. We started with TFS/SVN when that was the only option on CodePlex, but immediately switched to Mercurial when that became available because we think that distributed source control works better for open-source projects.

3. When we started this work, EF did not have the code-centric model that we wanted. NHibernate had the best adequation of features with what we were trying to do under a very mature form.

4. mmh. Anything specific you have in mind?

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Thank you very much, all is clear except one moment. ASP.net WebPages exists long time, since first .net version. Are we thinking the same when talking about ASP.NET WebPages ?

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Probably not. You must be talking about WebForms. ASP.NET Web Pages are still in Beta.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM
flamedmg wrote:

Thank you very much, all is clear except one moment. ASP.net WebPages exists long time, since first .net version. Are we thinking the same when talking about ASP.NET WebPages ?

I think u ment ASP.NET WebForms.
ASP.NET Web Pages is a new lightwight Framework, provided with WebMatrix.
It does not have many features, it's for quickly making web pages and it uses the Razor view engine by default.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Why not used F# ?

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:38 PM
flamedmg wrote:

Why not used F# ?

Not being the expert on this, my guess is that they wanted to make the platform as accessible as possible for folks building extensions, and there are a lot more C# developers than F# developers... so you get more folks who will look at your source code and say, "Ah!  that's how you do that..." which is great for the plugin / module ecosystem.

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Why would we use F#?

Developer
Jan 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM

You could always write a module in F# if you so wanted (:)) - and I may jsut to test out F#, but as JasperD mentioned... Its strengths are in complex algorithms.. not UI.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Thank you for your replies, they helped me a lot to understand that i do not need F# in UI :)

I investigated a bit shape rendering logic and it would be much nicer implemented using F# or may be in C# using it's functional abilities (investigated when project was 0.6 version)

I'm not very advanced C# coder, so may be I'm wrong.