Multiple Profiles

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Hi,

I'm in the process of creating a forum as part of a community site, as with most forums basic profile information is needed (generally listed with each post):

User Name, First Name, Last Name, Location, Posts, Avatar

I'm also going to need another profile page that shows the users complete profile.

I dont what to dirrectly couple the complete profile to the forum as this will inhibit reuse of the forum.

Any ideas on how to accomplish multipule profiles all working as one, edited in one place?

I've checked out the other profile topics here but they only really cover one profile.

Thanks,

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Not sure I understand the question bit you should be able to buildtwo separate parts for your profiles and display them or not in your templates. There are provisions for multiple display profiles  already that are used for example to distinguish the summary and details views of items.

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I guess what I was asking is, if you have many modules in a Orchard project each requiring some sort of profile i.e. comments, forum, profile page. what is the best way to synchronize the data as they will most likely contain a first name field etc.

I assume I'll just create a module that references all profiles and when one changes update the others.

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM

You should have one profile module that all other modules take a dependency on. What you describe seems to go against everything CMS is about. ;-)

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM

This being said, modules can also contribute and enrich the profile by adding new parts to it.