Widgets not being rendered on Azure

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Hi,

I have recently deployed Orchard to an Azure instance as a trial.  For the most part everything seems to be working well.  However,  I seem to be unable to add any widgets to the default theme.  I can configure them, and everything looks like it should work.  But when I actually naviagate to the home page, no widgets are displayed.

Is this a known bug??  Alternatively, is anyone able to help me troubleshoot this  (I am new to both Orchard and Azure).

I am using the pre-built Azure package 0.8.51 from the codeplex site.

Cheers

Sam

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2010 at 4:47 AM

This is an old bug which has been corrected since then. The assemblies from the DLR and IronRuby where not linked in Azure's project. You can get the source code and execute the build script for Azure if you want a brand new package.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Ok. Thanks for that.  I have obtained the source and built the package ok.

Just one more question though. According to the 'Deploying Orchard to Windows Azure' page, when I redeploy the package I am supposed to delete SQL database and Blob storage. Unless i'm missing something, this would wipe out all the site data.   Is this just an intermediate measure until some further work is done??  Or will this be a permanent thing that always needs doing when you upgrade / redeploy??

Cheers

Sam

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM

You don't need to do it if the package you are uploading is of the same version of Orchard. The current progress makes it hard to have compatible ones.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM

So if I am understanding you correctly,  Upgrades for Azure hosted installs will be supported,  but is just not currently due to the rate of change in the codebase.

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Yes it's all about the impact of the changes we are doing right now, we can't assume we won't do any breaking change until v1.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:55 PM

ok Thanks.