Orchard - First Thoughts

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Hi all - really impressed with Orchard. It has the potential to be the best combined CMS/Blogging platform on the MS stack.

My first question is what's to stop this project from going 'closed source'  - or eventually being folded into a click-wrap application at MSFT. Remeber Telligent Community Server?

My second question - after importing about 100 blog posts (using the BlogML module) is that I was wondering a little about performance. SQL Server (via Profiler) took about 2.5 seconds to retrieve the first page of 10 posts. I also noticed that in the model there are no foreign key relationships or indexes on any of the tables (apart from the Id column). I'm assuming this is because of the model based auto-generated schema? But this means there will be a table scan against Routable_RoutePartRecord for titles, or for any other table where a lookup is performed on a column other than Id. What's the index strategy for Orchard? 

Great stuff guys and looking forward to 1.0.

Kind regards,

Tony

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Thanks for the praise Tony – I hope you are right! J

To answer your first question, we went to great lengths to ensure this project is owned by the Outercurve Foundation (not MSFT), who has the interests of free and open source at heart. Also, the New BSD license (a very permissive, no restrictions kind of license), ensures that anyone can take this codebase and do whatever they want with it. If Microsoft decided to stop investing in the FOSS codebase (and/or release a commercial version and start investing in that instead – again, allowable under New BSD), that wouldn’t prevent the FOSS community from forking and continuing on. I am speaking theoretically, of course – as an agent of Microsoft, I can assure that there are *no plans whatsoever* to stop investing in this project or to commercialize it in any way. We plan to keep investing in the free, OSS version for the foreseeable future (version 2, 3, …).

Re: performance, I will let the Dev team answer the indexing question, but I can tell you that we take performance very seriously and recognize that we’ve got a lot of work to do here for V1. We have multiple developers working on that very issue right now. Check out Louis’ scrum notes from this morning… J

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:30 AM
To: Orchard Team
Subject: might be in a little later

Yesterday: perf

Tomorrow: perf

Blocking: perf

Bradley

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:48 PM
To: Bradley Millington
Subject: Orchard - First Thoughts [orchard:234299]

Hi all - really impressed with Orchard. It has the potential to be the best combined CMS/Blogging platform on the MS stack.

My first question is what's to stop this project from going 'closed source' - or eventually being folded into a click-wrap application at MSFT. Remeber Telligent Community Server?

My second question - after importing about 100 blog posts (using the BlogML module) is that I was wondering a little about performance. SQL Server (via Profiler) took about 2.5 seconds to retrieve the first page of 10 posts. I also noticed that in the model there are no foreign key relationships or indexes on any of the tables (apart from the Id column). I'm assuming this is because of the model based auto-generated schema? But this means there will be a table scan against Routable_RoutePartRecord for titles, or for any other table where a lookup is performed on a column other than Id. What's the index strategy for Orchard?

Great stuff guys and looking forward to 1.0.

Kind regards,

Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Doing schema optimizations is on the todo list for the performance task. But there are higher priorities on this topic currently.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Thanks for the replies - sounds good - and good luck getting 1.0 out the door! 

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Just curious, a while back on the old forum I remember reading that the team was considering exposing the project management board or task list to the public. I am curious what you use internally to keep track of things - I personally struggle with this aspect of day to day programming so I would love to see what kind of approach you use. I think if the info was exposed to the community it would also help everybody follow along with development progress and where the project is day to day, week to week.

Thanks,
John

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM

We use Agile Zen and have been very happy with it. we are not exposing it publicly but you can follow our day to day progress from the check-ins.