Use existing database for an Orchard module?

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Is it possible to use an existing database with Orchard? Imagine that a company already has a CRM application with its database. Is it possible to build a CRM module with the existing database of that CRM application? and if so, how?

In other words, I have a database and I want to build a module based on that database. What Should I do?

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:13 PM

You could create one module, but I don't think it would cover all the possibilities of the previous CMS and thus be able to use all of its data. Unless if you intend to use only a specific part of the data, like pages, or news ...

I think a better approach here would be to migrate the data to Orchard, like migrating the pages to specific content types, news, users, and so on.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I was not talking about CMS, but CRM applications with customers, users, offers and products purchased. This CRM has been divided into several modules like products, offers, customers, quotes, users and so on, but uses an underlying common database for all modules. (Something like SplendidCRM)

We are planning to rebuild our old enterprise application and I wanted to know if it is possible to develop the new modules as Orchard modules without changing our existing database and just use that database.

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Sure – the whole .net stack is available so you can use any data access or third party technology you would like from modules.