1

Closed

Infinite Loop of EMails with Custom Forms/Workflows

description

Sorry but I am unable to reproduce this error without actually loading up a "new" WebMatrix instance of my multi-tenant site from a backup. I have an idea of why I get the error (described below), but as of now cannot confirm it - so this is more about either blocking the possibility of the error happening (if I am correct about the reason) or just cautioning people when using custom forms.

In 1.6 I had a Custom Form (as a widget) and a Rule to send an e-mail. This worked fine.

I upgraded to 1.7.1 and then basically copied over the body of the e-mail into a new activity in Workflows. The workflow just had two (2) activities: 1) Form Submitted (the custom form I created in Content Types/Definitions) and 2) Send E-Mail. The Custom Form redirected to a page when submitted

Now, with 1.7.1 when I filled out the form and hit "Submit" I waited a few seconds for the redirect but there was no redirect, it just kept looking like it was going to redirect but never did. I then noticed that I started getting an infinite loop of e-mails (after about a minute over 100). I had to basically shut down the browser to stop it.

I suspect this had to do with the fact that I added a the "Body" part to the Custom Forms Widget type (so that I could put some text before the form).

When I removed the "Body" part and created a new form (fields, type, workflow, etc.) everything was fine.

If you recall, when you create a new content type for your custom form, after you input the name of the type you are presented with the "add" parts screen. If in fact this is what caused the error then, again, the ability to add a part should be blocked OR users cautioned.
Closed Nov 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM by sebastienros

comments

sebastienros wrote Nov 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Please try to provide a repro

remesq wrote Nov 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Other than the information I provided above, I could not properly re-produce this and there is no error in the logs. I can only suspect that it had to do with a third-party module which was still enabled when I upgraded to 1.7.1 and had a dependency on the Rules module. Creating a new form (and obviously disabling that module) solved the problem.

justrhysism wrote Jan 9 at 1:48 AM

For the record, I'm experiencing this issue right now. Just recieved 10,000 emails from a single form submission...

Unsure on what is causing or how to repro - but figured I'd like to highlight that there is more than one person experiencing this issue.

manudea wrote Feb 14 at 1:26 PM

I have just upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7.2 and I have experienced the same issued.
Close a bug like this tha can potentially lead to many problems (almost 20000 were sent before I realized the loop...) it is not good. I will try to provide a repro.

manudea wrote Feb 14 at 1:55 PM

Reopened with repro and stack trace details
https://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/20256

manudea wrote Feb 14 at 5:24 PM

Sorry this is i the correct link to new issue:
https://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/20493