Orchard Git repo with submodules

Topics: Administration, Writing modules, Writing themes
May 17 at 9:17 AM
I have a brand new computer and I am setting up my dev environment. I was wondering what the 'experts' did with regards to multiple git repositories for modules/themes etc.

Previously I would use git submodules for each Orchard module I wanted to use, but I was told that git submodules aren't a good idea (I don't know why this is). Currently I have my whole Orchard tree (from \src and \lib down) checked into my site repository. I add Orchard as a remote and pull updates in via git merge. As said I add a submodule for each repo under \src\Orchard.Web\Modules and \src\Orchard.Web\Themes.

How do you guys set up your dev environment? Is there a better way to have nested git repositories? I know in SVN it was a simple thing.
Aug 1 at 5:54 PM
I've got a late reply here.

Using submodules was the method I was going to go with. My understanding on the problems with submodules really don't apply in this case. It has more to do with using submodules to handle dependencies. You are developing a project, and add a submodule of a git repository you intend to depend on. In this case it doesn't go with the original repository and wouldn't auto checkout like a good package manager could do for you.

However this situation is really the reverse of that. We are developing a dependency and don't want any real connection between the two repositories. I would think submodules would be the perfect solution for this.

I'm no Git nor Orchard expert but I think this is something to experiment with.

I also found this project https://github.com/Lombiq/Tidy-Orchard-Development-Toolkit but it is old.