newbie site design

Topics: Core, General
May 16 at 10:35 PM
I'm a newbie who has done lots of asp.net, c#, html coding in the past but would prefer to set up a website with no programming required. I want to just use what is there. I selected Orchard because of my familiarity with asp.net and c# just in case I have to do some light programming. I don't want to become an Orchard expert but instead learn what is needed and get the site out there and then learn more as I maintain and extend the site. So I'm looking for the easiest way to do a website with the functionality I require and that is easy to maintain. I've read a lot of the documentation and played around with Orchard a little bit, nothing extensive.

The site will be updated and added to frequently. The home page will have 9 or 12 areas. An area will contain an article summary (100 or 200 words) or maybe a poll (maybe 100 or 200 words), or perhaps an image and link. If the user clicks on the article summary, he goes to a different page for the full article (the full article could be on the same site or might go to a different website).

Each homepage area will be uniquely named (tagged). The areas will remain the same but will get different content periodically (like a new poll or a new article).

From the menu, the user can click a tag or menu item and get a page that only those tagged articles in summary form in descending order. Click on one and go to the full page article.

Perhaps I can have 4 types of content:
  1. Article summary
  2. Full article
  3. Poll
  4. Image and Link
I would have 5 types of pages:
  1. Home page
  2. Full Article page
  3. Summary of articles page
  4. List of Polls page
  5. List of Images and Links page
Any suggestions from the experts here on how to setup a site like that? Is there a good sample project out there that is close to what I want? What Orchard capabilities should I look at?

Thanks.
Jun 24 at 4:37 PM
I'm by no means an expert but my thoughts are as follows:

most CMS will do what you want, the catch is how easy it is to bend it to your will...
modules can help with the bending, however vetting a module will do what you want/need is often a lot of effort, especially when you have to go through a lot of them...
I'd suggest that 90% of what you've listed is relatively easy with Orchard and a basic install.

you probably want these to start:
(not sure if your outline conforms more to "blogs" or "pages" but have a play with how they work)
Tags
Taxonomies
Alias
Autoroute
You probably want to setup search, indexing and lucene (there is a RECIPIE in the Modules part... not sure how good it is... sorry)
Poll module

HTH