Why are Orchard projects so large (eg 1GB for a minimal site, lots of folders etc)?

Topics: General
Apr 24 at 2:08 PM
Why are Orchard projects so large (eg 1GB for the src folder of a minimal site that I set up yesterday, with lots of subfolders)?

I know that there is a lot to a CMS system, and also to one which has built in facility for blogs, but my impression so far is of a very large structure which if started again today would be much smaller and easier to understand? Changing themes seems particularly complicated compared to (with other sites) just changing one or two css files and js files.

Am I missing something?
Thanks.
Developer
May 7 at 3:49 PM
A big part of it is the duplicate binaries across the module folders. For example, all modules have a project reference to Orchard.Framework, so the Orchard.Framework.dll is copied to the bin folder of all modules. Many modules have many more project references, so this quickly adds up to.
However, when you publish your Orchard application, these bin folders will be cleaned up so that you can get relatively small packages of less than 100 MB, depending on what you added yourself.

Changing themes could be as simple as changing one or two css and js files, or could get as advanced as inheriting from other themes and overriding shape templates. You didn't explain what you find complicated exactly, so it's hard to provide proper guidance.