Upgrade no longer working ?

Topics: General
Feb 16 at 6:33 PM
Hi all. I have about 30 sites running Orchard 1.6 and have used webmatrix and css changes to deliver some basic but nice websites.

The 192 version (and before but cant remember the v !) cant be used for upgrades as per documentation. The themes are very old nowadays with little choice for me to customise. The modules gallery doesnt work (on the search) so I assume we have the same old selections.

Are there any plans to return to the basic functionality of Orchard CMS.

You guys are awesome in the development but now if I dont need the latest azure (and other new toys) I really am wondering if the project is becoming a technical excercise for all involved.

I want a package that can work out of the box, to buy modules and themes as I see fit, Tweaking and customising was great - now its becoming a chore just to get the basic product working. I am wanting a little reassurance here, should I stick at it or start converting to wordpress ?
Feb 24 at 9:54 AM
I had a feeling none would respond, it says a lot though. Thanks
Feb 24 at 12:56 PM
"Are there any plans to return to the basic functionality of Orchard CMS. "
The basic functionality is still there, but perhaps you can be a little more specific as to what you mean?

"You guys are awesome"
Thanks. :)

"if I dont need the latest azure (and other new toys)"
Can you clarify what you mean by latest azure?

"I really am wondering if the project is becoming a technical excercise for all involved. "
On the contrary, we are making things more easy to use and empowering users. But maybe we're doing something wrong. Please, can you elaborate and help us get better?

"I want a package that can work out of the box, to buy modules and themes as I see fit, Tweaking and customising was great "
Orchard is that package. If it doesn't work out of the box, then we need to fix that. Please file an issue on GitHub with repro steps (if others haven't done so already).

It sounds like you have run into multiple hurdles, which is sad to hear of course. If you provide us with concrete issues, we may be able to help.
Feb 24 at 1:29 PM
Edited Feb 24 at 1:29 PM
Hey! - Sorry you seem a bit stuck. We are here to help, and sorry if we missed your post earlier.

What problems are you encountering when upgrading? The process I went through was to do it incrementally.. 1.6 -> 1.7, and so on, I know it seems crazy, but those small steps actually make a big difference... and you know you are getting closer to the end goal.

Again, let us know the issues you are encountering and we will totally be able to help!
Feb 24 at 3:09 PM
thanks for replying - profuse thanks
Upgrade issues:
At the time of writing I was going to upgrade to 1.9.2 from 1.6.x
Created new folders etc for 1.9.2 copied all required. Site not loading. There seems to be a difference in sqlce versions - I can no longer read the sqlce data in webmatrix. Googling this was unproductive. The update documentation has not been updated for a few years now - would love to help on this but cannot seem to find out how to resolve the issues so how can I write docs. Only way seems to be to start from scratch with each site?
technical exercise?:
Most of my sites use 'The Theme Machine' which, not being responsive, needed some updating. Fortunately there are two responsive themes with same layouts. I found the menus did not work and the images now come from the database ( I think I ended up just uploading all the images again - easier) - I resolved these issues - clearly not in the docs either but more hours searching here.
I seem to have a missing reference to Orchard.rules, I know I should delete a reference to it .. somewhere ... and recompile but that means the old machine again (and my copy of VS2010 probably needs updating) and downloading the source and then.. well it seems to work doesn't it so I move on. I seem to remember this was going to be resolved on the next release version - was that 1.5 ?

looks distinctly old nowadays - cant we get some themes in there that aren't 3 years old? It would be nice if some themes could be donated just for the good welfare of the project. This maybe could encourage people to look in the gallery, then offer premium themes amongst the new listing.
The article on your blog (skywalker) on layouts looks interesting for the future - especially if any documentation is envisaged at some time.

I tried searching for modules in the gallery - the search facility fails now so I can see only page 1. (cant find any solution for that) I was using some image galleries and slideshows (using jQuery) but I cant find them now so I can google search - the first I was looking to use I easily found but it appears not updated for years so perhaps I should not be using that particular one !

I am not using source version, prefer using Webmatrix - my clients can also use it and update their content, make some simple styling changes all in cooperation. My sites are small businesses, clubs and societies. My largest SQLCE database is 10Mb and the whole site is less than 150Mb - with hundreds of images. I see no advantage in these small sites to change to SQL Server or Azure.

I have a large investment in my Orchard sites, I like them and would like to keep them but...
Feb 24 at 3:12 PM
Thanks - was considering that but could not find anybody who suggested it - potentially it sounds like it would work but I found so many issues not actually working had to consider what sort of help I would get by talking of 1.5 to 1.6 when all are on 1.9 !
I will try
Feb 25 at 3:40 PM
Edited Feb 25 at 4:00 PM
anyone ?
Feb 25 at 4:43 PM
Maybe try one question per thread, or a summary of the issues you're running into? You've written so much that it is a bit hard to distill what sort of help you're looking for.
Feb 25 at 4:46 PM
If you're still running into the issues you mentioned Wednesday even after trying Nick's approach, for example "site is not loading", we'll need a little bit more information. Your first source of information should be the error logs (App_Data). Try and find anything suspicious there, and paste it in this thread.
Feb 25 at 6:00 PM

Haven’t had time to try the 1.6 to 1.7 route yet – will do in next 12 hours or so and report back

… thanks