Updating module hosted on AzureApp from within VS

Topics: Writing modules
Feb 8 at 9:22 AM
Edited Feb 8 at 9:23 AM
I created an instance of orchard running on azure by rebuilding and publishing the source code. I then added the source code of a module, rebuilt, and published again.

Everything works great.

However I'd like to make changes to the module, without having to publish the entire Orchard.Web project, because it takes such a long time.

Could this be achieved somehow? I'm new to orchard (and azure) but I've looked around and found nothing.
Feb 23 at 8:30 AM
You could upload just the modified module (and its binaries) via FTP. However, by default, this local build of your module (its bin folder) will contain all dependency assemblies. Other than just being a waste of disk space and bandwidth during upload, this is not a big issue of course, but you could manually remove the unnecessary files (by comparing with the serverside bin folder) or publish your module to your local disk and upload its contents. Publishing just your module to a local folder is a pretty fast process, and is what I do when I want to update just one or two modules on a running site. Depending on your HostComponents.config settings, I would manually clear out the App_Data/Dependencies folder afterwards, just to make sure Orchard copies the new version of the module's binaries into that folder.