Setup failed: Transaction not connected, or was disconnected

Topics: Installing Orchard
Jan 27 at 2:38 AM
Hi, I'm getting this error when trying to install Orchard.Web.1.9.2 on IIS 10 (Windows 10).

I've set the permissions, created an empty database, and get as far as filling out the getting started page but this error appears right after pressing the Finish Setup button.

(It doesn't get as far as showing the Cooking Recipe animation)

There is nothing in the log, and this is on a clean install machine, with only IIS and SqlExpress 2014, no Visual Studio or anything else.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions
Jan 28 at 10:28 PM
Nevermind, I figured it out. I had the permissions completely wrong - I ran the install.sql script from Orchard 1.8.1 and everything's fine.
Developer
Jan 29 at 12:37 AM
Glad you made it work:)
This kind of exception usually means a lower-level exception being thrown (like eg. timeout or other SQL-level error). Hard to get to the details as it's usually hidden from the debugger, unless you really deep-dive into NH internals.
Jan 29 at 4:15 AM
Yep, I caught on as I was playing with permissions in sql - if there was no user then I'd get a log entry complaining about things, and if I created a valid login, suddenly there would be nothing in the log and blank pages etc.

I wrote a step-by-step guide for my boss to follow, which I will paste in here in case it helps anyone else out.

Firstly, I found version 1.8.1 here:
https://orchard.codeplex.com/downloads/get/865709

And from that I used the install.sql script, nothing else

Email to my boss:

How to set up Orchard 1.9.2 with IIS and SQLEXPRESS2014

Create an empty database in SQL (Btw, TCP/IP protocol needs to be enabled, and mixed-mode authentication)

open the install.sql script file in SQL and edit the following settings as needed:

SET @dbName = 'Orchard.1.9.2';
SET @dbUser = 'dbuser';
SET @dbPwd = 'dbpassword';

Execute the install script.

Extract the contents of Orchard.Web.1.9.2 to a temporary folder (IIS doesn't like zip extraction under the wwwroot)

Create a new folder in C:\inetpub\wwwroot (example is Orchard)
Copy the contents of the Orchard subfolder to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Orchard

run IIS (run inetmgr)

Expand the default web site

Right-click on the Orchard folder and select Convert to Application

Right-click on the new application, select Manage Application, then Advanced Settings...

Check the Application Pool - For me I chose DefaultAppPool, .Net CLR Version: 4.0, Pipeline Mode: Integrated

Expand the Orchard app so you can see the subfolders

Right-click on App_Data, then Edit Permissions...

Security Tab --> Edit... --> Add... Then enter:

IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool

Grant at least Modify permission (I chose Full control, but modify works as well I have since found)

Repeat the process for:

Media
Modules
Themes

To start the website:
In IIS, select the new application and over in the Manage Application section under Actions on the right-hand side of the screen, Browse *.80 (http)

The Getting started page will eventually load.

Set the website name, admin password, and choose: Use an existing SQL Server, SQL Express Database

This is the connection string I used:

Data Source=VAIO\SQLEXPRESS2014;Initial Catalog=Orchard.1.9.2;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=dbuser;Password=dbpassword

The screen will dim, and the message: Cooking Orchard Recipe will appear as it populates the database tables.

When it has completed, the homepage will be displayed.

29/01/2016 BN

(I really hope this helps save someone else 3 days of banging their head on the table in frustration)