Orchard v2 Roadmap

Topics: General
Dec 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've seen reference to Orchard v2 on Github which will be based upon vNext. I understand that the latter's main focus is on cross-platform and AFAIK everything built on it will inherit this feature, but I am not entirely certain so I would have multiple questions regarding to Orchard and vNext:
  • does it also mean Orchard v2 will be cross-platform friendly? (e.g. Linux, FreeBSD, OSX)
  • will Orchard v2 support more databases? (e.g. SQLite, PostgreSQL, ODBC, etc)
Many thanks in advance
Dec 13, 2015 at 9:41 PM
Orchard v2 will be X-Platform yes, that is one of our main goals.

As for databases, it will support out of the box anything YesSQL supports, however, databases providers are easy to write for so if you want something else, should be easy!
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Hey Jetski, thanks for your time and the promising news mate. I'm planning to build all my sites (including my personal blog site) on Orchard in the future.

I know the project depends on the release of vNext but could you please give me an approximate time margin when can we expect the first betas of v2?
I'd be more than happy to contribute with testing and bug reporting (maybe development as well).

Thanks again
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM
Currently no planned dates, we are making good progress from a low level perspective, but no modules have been ported and there are a few things we need to change, plus we are on VNext RC1 and not RC2 so there are challenges there.

Lots of work to do - so no dates im afraid, as we dont know either!
Dec 14, 2015 at 9:20 AM
This would be exactly my question.

About time frame is it more like 1 month, 6 month or 1 year, 2 years... time frame? Clearly no dates are possible as noone worked with the new core and even if there is a golive now it is still not all set in stone.

And is there some roadmap about which parts are done in what order so for some testing/starting it may be enough if only parts are finished.

And thanks for your efforts - really looking forward to it :)