How to deploy the Changes done to Orchard.Setup module.

Topics: Core
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM
For a specific requirement, i had to make some changes in the Orchard.Setup core module. I want to know what would be the best way to deploy these changes , package install OR copy, when
  1. my site is already live
  2. I am still in development
Aug 8, 2015 at 1:10 AM
What does your setup look like? Changing core modules is in general the same as changing other modules.
In your case, which as I understand is to deploy only changes made to Orchard.Setup without publishing all other stuff yet, I'd rather
  • rebuild everything locally, then
  • prepare a deployment package using the command-line tool
  • copy over the whole Orchard.Setup module (remove the old one first to get rid of possible dll leftovers) to the production environment.
  • remove /App_Data/Dependencies folder for the sake of keeping things clean
  • restart the site
Orchard should now automatically pick up the new version of Orchard.Setup module and you should be good.
Aug 12, 2015 at 7:14 AM
OK. Well I have made changes in one of the file.

I have followed steps 1 and 2 as mentioned by you. However instead of copying, i had upgraded the module using Orchard Admin Dashboard > Modules tab. Can that do anything wrong?? Because it worked fine for most of the times, only once it crashed my application. After trouble shooting, i got to know there was an entry made in the Orchard Settings_ShellFeatureRecord and Settings_ShellFeatureStateRecord for Orchard.Setup module. After i removed the entry, everything worked fine. Not sure what had caused the problem.