Upgrade to 1.9.1 on Azure Failing

Topics: Administration, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:48 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2015 at 1:49 AM
I have an installation that has been running on Azure for a couple of years, I have upgraded multiple times but I am not able to get 1.9.1 to deploy successfully.

I have packaged and published successfully but when I try to open the site in a browser I get a 404, which I have always found means that the basic site initialization is not happening. I saw no logs in the WADLogsTable where errors are normally logged on an Azure installation. So I logged in to the Remote Desktop and changed the log4net.config to use local logging and now I get one entry in the local error log:
2015-08-07 00:16:08,827 [1] Orchard.Exceptions.DefaultExceptionPolicy - (null) - An unexpected exception was caught
 (null)
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Orchard.Environment.Extensions.ExtensionManagerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass2.<EnabledFeatures>b__0(FeatureDescriptor fd)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at Orchard.Data.Migration.AutomaticDataMigrations.Activated()
   at Orchard.Events.DelegateHelper.<>c__DisplayClass28`1.<BuildAction>b__27(Object target, Object[] p)
   at Orchard.Events.DefaultOrchardEventBus.TryInvokeMethod(IEventHandler eventHandler, Type interfaceType, String messageName, String interfaceName, String methodName, IDictionary`2 arguments, IEnumerable& returnValue)
   at Orchard.Events.DefaultOrchardEventBus.TryNotifyHandler(IEventHandler eventHandler, String messageName, String interfaceName, String methodName, IDictionary`2 eventData, IEnumerable& returnValue)
Aug 7, 2015 at 5:21 AM
Hah! I was testing on a copy of my database and although the schema had been created the data was not copied so the Settings_ShellFeatureRecord table was empty and that caused the migration to fail. I guess it would be nice if the error was handled, but it is not an issue with Orchard.
Marked as answer by sncodeplex on 8/6/2015 at 9:21 PM