Cannot open Orchard.Azure.sln in Visual Studio 2013

Topics: Administration, Installing Orchard
Jul 1, 2015 at 12:20 PM
I have finished building my first Orchard site and would like to deploy it to my Azure hosting. I am failing at the first step when trying to open the Orchard.Azure.sln solution. The assembly Orchard.Azure.CloudService fails to open with the following message:
Orchard.Azure.CloudService\Orchard.Azure.CloudService.ccproj: The application which this project type is based on was not found.

I am using the latest Orchard source code and Visual Studio Community 2013 (Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4).

When I try a normal VS publish to Azure (as I have done with other projects) it says there are no databases found in the solution. I completed the deployment, but I believe that it has just copied the SQL Server CE database to Azure.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to get my site online asap.
Jul 1, 2015 at 5:03 PM
You should not try to open this solution is you don't understand the message. It actually means that you haven't installed the Azure Visual Studio tools and SDK ,which means you will probably fail at understanding how to maintain it on Cloud Services.

Instead I would suggest you to use Azure Web Apps, which is much simpler and common to a local deployment. It also doesn't require you to install anything else, and you can use the standard VS solution.
Jul 1, 2015 at 9:04 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Thanks for getting back to me.

That's strange, I do have the Azure SDK and Azure Tools for Visual Studio installed. I do a fair bit of Azure deployment, though never with Orchard. I assumed the error was related to me having the community version of Visual Studio. Back when you would get Visual Studio Express for Web (or for Windows Apps etc) you were limited to developing solutions and would receive a similar error when attempting to open a solution in the wrong version.

I am reinstalling the SDK at the moment and will try again.

EDIT: I installed the latest Azure SDK (2.6) and the solution and project loads without issue. I have to go to work now, but I will attempt a deployment when I get home.
Jul 2, 2015 at 2:10 AM
I successfully deployed the site to Azure. But I don't think I will keep it like that. I already pay for a SQL Server instance and I don't think I will benefit from the Table Storage. My website is very small so I will deploy it as a straightforward Azure Web Site.

I will have to migrate my data from the local SQL Server CE database to my Azure SQL Server instance. Good thing there's plenty of documentation on this:

Thanks, again.