Too Many Orchard Communities

Topics: Administration
Mar 13, 2015 at 10:51 AM
I think the whole Orchard Community should be on Stackoverflow. The same happened to CKEditor forums. I think it is not effective to have some people answering on Stackoverflow, some on Codeplex and some on Orchard Pros.
The problem of cross postings would be solved too.

(see also

What do you think?
Mar 15, 2015 at 6:09 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM
I was thinking about this too. I use stackoverflow regularly and I like it, but it's a no-no place for discussions and general questions. It's coding assistance platform and strict policy maintains it that way. If you posted this very post there, it would be locked and no discussion would take place. That's why Codeplex discussions are still relevant.

As for the Orchard Pros, I consider it part of Orchard ecosystem the so called "Orchard Network". It has tags and all the people relevant just to Orchard which is pretty specific platform so why not group people around this single interest. I would suggest people use this formula to decide which one to use.

Codeplex Discussions -> When you need to discuss something that doesn't fit into Q&A format
Orchard Pros -> When you need answer relevant to Orchard (doesn't have to be just code)
Stackoverflow -> When you need answer to something code specific even people who might not know what orchard is can answer (C#, .NET, HTML, CSS, JS, MVC)
Mar 16, 2015 at 8:05 AM
Edited Mar 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM
I think general questions about Orchard (even with no code) will not get blocked from Stackoverflow. In most cases you have some sort of snippet anyway.
For me Orchard Pros and Stackoverflow are the same.

Regarding Codeplex Discussions I agree,, but then the forum could also be smaller, with a lot of topics transferred to Stackoverflow.

Another advantage of using Stackoverflow would be that you do not have to worry about Spam (see also the latest spam posts in
Apr 14, 2015 at 8:05 PM
Non-coding questions will get actively closed on StackOverflow. FWIW, we did ask the SO folks about doing all of our discussions there, before we open the CodePlex forums, and they had quite firmly said no to that.