What happens when you change the name of a field through te the admin UI

Topics: Administration, General
Mar 11, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2015 at 9:33 AM
Hello I'm facing a problem with a taxonomy field.

I'm using the Orchard 1.7.1 version

I create a taxonomy with folliwing terms:

Sandwich
Omelet
Jam
I add a Taxonomy field to a Page Part with the name "taxonomy"
I modifiy a Page Titled Sandwich 1 to pertain to Omelet term
I modifiy a Page Titled Sandwich 2 to pertain to Jam term

I rename the previously added "taxonomy" field with the name "MealsTaxonomy"

When I move to content items with title Sandwich 1 or Sandwich 2 I find MealsTaxonomy field has none terms related. (data in db is related still with old "taxonomy" fieldname instead of be related wit new "MealsTaxonomy" fieldname.

Next step I make is to modifiy the Page Titled Sandwich 1 to pertain to Jam term
and the Page Titled Sandwich 2 to pertain to Omelet term (just the opposite I made first time)

At this point if I display Term Omelet unexpectedly what I see is:
Omelet
Sandwich 2
Sandwich 1

The same if I display Term Jam:
Jam
Sandwich 2
Sandwich 1

What is happening is the table Orchard_Taxonomies_TermContentItem still has stored records I stored from the original field.

Is this a bug I should file an issue? Is this a design decission? I mean when something is changed in content parts or content types nothing is changed from content items till those are edited and saved. Should Orchard make an exception for renamed fields and change the field name stored in all the content items? Should at least it to remove the data of the origina field?
What I have clear is current behavior is not good for the user because db ends in an inconsistent state.

What do you think?

Regards
Mar 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM
Edited Mar 15, 2015 at 8:44 AM