Orchard 3 tier deployment

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Mar 7, 2015 at 9:00 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2015 at 9:01 PM
Hi ,

I have developed orchard site which is deployed on IIS on my server which works fine. My orchard site would be public site hosted on our network and it would be using our internal SQL Server database server. We have public facing network where port 80 is opened and we have internal network where we have databases and other services running.

We do not want orchard site to directly talk to our database which in in our secure network. Instead we want to expose the data over http 80.

If it is any other .NET MVC Site, I would create WCF service to get data from our SQL server and I would reference that service in my web site. I would host the service on our internal network and can access it from our public facing site.

How can I have same thing done for Orchard? Can I move Orchard to our internal network and access it from our ASP.NET site available in our public network?

Can I expose Orchard as a Web API to our public facing IIS?

Any help would be appreciated.
Developer
Mar 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM
"Can I move Orchard to our internal network and access it from our ASP.NET site available in our public network? Can I expose Orchard as a Web API to our public facing IIS?" Yes, but you have to implement the suitable Web API endpoints yourself.

If you also think about having Orchard sitting out in the wild and changing it to access the DB server via a non-standard API (like you explain "If it is any other .NET MVC Site...") then while this is theoretically possible by re-implementing every service in Orchard that uses the DB I'd consider it practically infeasible.