Why use Blog if you can make Custom ContentType??

Topics: General, Localization
Mar 6, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Hello there,

Why should I use a Blog - type if I can make my own custom ContentType?
The thing is this:
I'm planning a blog on my site, the site has several languages. For translations I use RMLocalization which works perfect.
However translating first "Blog", and then the BlogPosts, what happens is that the translated BlogPosts stay in the original "Blog" and not in "the translated Blog". Sure there is a module available that fixes this, but in my opinion the less (third party) modules I use the better, because with any new Orchard version the stability of the third party modules is questionable.

So I was wondering if there's anything against making a custom Blog ContentType? Which will surely work better with the translation issue...

Any thoughts that could be of help?

Thanks in advance!
Mar 6, 2015 at 5:40 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2015 at 5:40 PM
I think that with the Blog you can set a RSS feed easily. The Blog is also a module that you can extend by adding functionnalities easier than using a custom content type in Orchard. For the Localization issue I think you can make a workaround by creating a Blog with his translations. And then use only one of these blogs to add posts in different culture in it. That's how I made it work for now. Though these Blog translations should link to a single master blog but thinking about it, would it be better to see posts separated by culture in each of these Blogs ? ... not sure. Maybe there's a better way to do this. I think we should be able to set a single Blog (default culture) and be able to just translate this Blog Name and Description from there (not create other blogs for other culture). I would look into this way of doing it.
Mar 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM
Hi Skrypt,
Thanks for your help, I'm however not sure what your conclusion is in the end?

Have you tried this module?
Blog Post Localization - Version: 1.0
It says that it should put the localized Blogposts under the appropriate localized Blog. Which would be a possible solution
I'm curious if anyone has tried it.....
I'm updating my site to Orchard 1.8., would it work with that?

Thanks!
Mar 7, 2015 at 8:48 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2015 at 8:49 PM
I have not tried this module. It says it works against 1.6 ; maybe you will have some things to fix before making it work. Better than code it all at least. That could be a good solution if it works. My answer was : use custom modules and/or contributed modules ! Making a blog from Content Types is also not a bad solution ; it always depends on how much you want to customize it afterward.
Mar 9, 2015 at 1:05 AM
That BlogPost - Localization module didn't work with 1.8. Anyway it made me see the easy solution:

We should not add the "Localization Part" to the Blog, just to the BlogPost-type. Afterall why would we want to translate the Blog, this is just the container. It's fine that all localized BlogPosts remain in the one Blog.
Now showing the Localized BlogPosts just needs one Query (with 2 filters, one to filter for BlogPost-Type and one to filter for Culture), with a Projector for each culture.
For me that solves it.