Multiserver production environment

Topics: General
Feb 25, 2015 at 7:55 AM
Hi, i'm in charge of evaluating Orchard for migrating an exsisting enterprise public web site (currently used cms is MCMS 2002).

At the moment production enviroment is a multiserver farm (4 servers) with a load balancer in front of them. We would like to mantain this architecture.

1) Is it possible install Orchard on every machine and share the same database?
2) is there any documentation about best practise in doing that? i haven't found anything...

Thanks
Mar 2, 2015 at 7:41 AM
Nobody needs multiserver environment? all use just one server? :)
Developer
Mar 2, 2015 at 11:01 AM
1) Yes, every installation of Orchard can point to the same database.
2) I'm not aware of any documentation about best practices other than this page: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Deploying-Orchard-to-Windows-Azure, but that is in the context of Microsoft Azure. I'd do a web search on "orchard webfarm". Keep in mind that if you're in a web farm, user generated content such as uploaded media will have to be either synced across nodes in the farm, or stored to a shared location. In Azure, we use Azure Blob Storage for that. Outside of Azure, you could use a shared file cluster and configure IIS such that the Media folder becomes a virtual folder pointing to this shared file cluster, or implement your own IStorageProvider that stores and reads media from a service (or some even store media in the database using a Database Storage Provider).
Mar 3, 2015 at 8:32 AM
Thanks for your answer! I'll do some test with two or more servers and let you know if i will have any problems.