Import/Export Caused "Access Denied" Error

Topics: Administration, Troubleshooting
Jan 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM
I exported my pages and settings from a development site that I created a number of weeks ago using the Import/Export module. Since then I accidentally deleted the database for that site. I created a new site (in Webmatrix) with the same code base (including themes) and pointed it to a blank database.

I enabled the Import/Export module and imported the pages from the old site. When the import was done I was immediately taken to a page that says "Access Denied You do not have permission to complete your request." When I try to go to /admin I get that same error. When I try to go to /users/account/logon it brings me to the homepage. The homepage was correctly updated in the import.

Searching around I found that using a machine key often fixes the Access Denied issue, but I'm not sure how I would set that up using Webmatrix. Maybe a setting or user was imported that caused this issue? Or maybe I don't have a necessary module enabled? Since I can't access the administrative back end and I don't see anything in the logs I feel pretty blind to the ability fix this.