404 when running locally

Topics: Core, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Jan 20, 2015 at 12:20 AM
Brand new to Orchard. Working from VS2013 - not WebMatrix. Install went smoothly. Deployed to Azure without any problems. Running locally works fine too after install. I can configure the site, create a database connection etc. So far so good. Downstream a few minutes I'm getting a 404 error when I try to run locally. I "think" this is being caused by my editing the home page. Been through this routine several times and I think the last time I deleted the home page from a prior set-up, edited the new landing page, saved it as the home page then published it. Works fine. But ...

Next time I try to run locally I get the 404 error at the same URL. This smells like an MVC routing issue.

Guidance please: how do I prevent this and, more importantly, how do I fix it? It stops me dead in my tracks. My approach in trying to sort out what's been going on has been to delete the site, load the source, build it again. Not a great way to progress with a project.
Jan 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM
As far as I know Orchard need's the homepage to be present, otherwise it just 404's :/ You could check the database with the pages table, if there's a way to get it back.

Sadly, I'm not aware of any "after" fix :/