Simulate splash page

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Jan 15, 2015 at 2:39 PM
I want to get a temporary splash page up on a live site that's still in development. This should be the only page that pedestrian users can hit. Navigation to other pages should be hidden, only accessible to developers.

I've been able to create this functionality with other CMSs before, but I'm new to Orchard. Can I leverage layers to do something like this?
Jan 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM
Check out Vandalay Industries [] module where Splash Screen has been implemented as well. Hope it helps.
Jan 15, 2015 at 4:59 PM
I have looked into it already. It's meant for first time users to either Accept or Reject a disclaimer, at which point they can enter or leave the site.

I need pedestrian users to only be able to look at the splash page and go no further.

I'm thinking of doing this with layers, where the Navigation module is only viewed by Authenticated users, which will be the developers. This is effectively only showing the homepage( splash page ) to the Anonymous user layer.

Then for release I will move Navigation back to Default layer and reveal all the rest of the pages.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this approach.
Jan 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM
I settled on using layers and url alternates to simulate a splash page.

First, I created splashpage and development layers. The splashpage rules are set to anonymous, and the development layer rules to authenticated. Therefore only logged in developers can see the dev widgets. I hid all the navigation on the splashpage layer.

Then I enabled the url alternates module and created a Layout-url-homepage.cshtml in my theme's views folder. This overrides any other layout file, effectively allowing me to have completely separate markup, stylesheets and scripts on my homepage.

So now I'm developing the site behind this, and when it comes time to release I will simply expose the navigation widget on the homepage, and get rid of the overriding Layout-url-homepage.cshtml file so that the homepage will have the same styles, scripts and markup as the other pages.