Conference call software for Orchard podcasts

Topics: Announcements
Dec 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM
The discussion is going on for quite some time about switching from Lync to something else for the weekly meetings due to massive technical problems arising under completely different circumstances for attendees. Unfortunately, Google Hangouts have some limitations (max. 10 people can join as participants for voice communication and chat), so that's not a viable solution. was also mentioned as a good candidate.
If you have experience with or other conference call software, let's hear your opinion about them!

The requirements are:
  • Preferably unlimited number of participants (but around 50 will suffice for a while).
  • Voice communication, chat, screen and webcam sharing for anyone.
  • Optional push-to-talk would be nice.
  • Elevated users for muting/kicking others would also be nice.
Dec 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Examples:, GoToMeeting, ...
Dec 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM
I disagree that Hangouts are "not a viable solution". Maybe we need to find a workflow before the meeting starts. Setting up Q&A in advance could help, etc.

I've used 1:1 with customers, and it works ok for that, but I don't know that it would satisfy all the requirements, including the extremely important one that you forgot:
  • Ability to record the meetings without additional screen capture software
Dec 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM is free for 10 participants but then it is 15$/month :
Gotomeeting is free for 3 participants and then 39$ for 25 users and 56$ for 100 :
They have free trial if we want to try.

We can try Hangouts again this Thursday but, as you set it up an hour before : invite people, share the link, ....
Dec 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM
I made a test :
I created a Google Plus community page :
I added an event for this Thursday meeting :
I sent invitations (but I can't see how to make it public)

I don't think I can create a Hangout in behalf of the page.
I don't even know how to configure a Hangout in advance and have a permanent url.
Dec 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I managed to create an Hangout for this Thursday Dec 11th :

We should be able to have Q&A and you can already ask some questions.
Dec 12, 2014 at 2:14 AM
I received the following offer the other day from It's for the first year of subscription only.
It could be an option to transition to something else a year from now.
Don't miss out, save over 40% on Pro. Upgrade to Pro for just $99*

Save Now.

2015 is right around the corner. Start improving your meetings in the New Year by upgrading to Pro for just $99.

Save over 40% on Pro today and enjoy being able to:
  • Collaborate with great features like annotation, presenter swap and recording.
  • Schedule meetings in one click, right in your Outlook or Google calendar.
  • Individualize your meetings with a personal link and background.
  • Save money with unlimited conference calling and no hidden fees.
  • Don't miss out on better meetings for all, now just $99.*
Save now

*Advertised price valid for first year of Pro subscription only. Price not valid for renewals or for Enterprise purchases. Offer expires December 31, 2014.
Dec 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM is looking good, and it records, too. We should try it on a Thursday meeting. Not sure it has chat though. They have a free trial, too.

I'd be willing to chip in towards a subscription if Sébastien can't expense it for some reason.
Dec 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM
I think that you have to take into account user with tablets. Google hangouts seems perfect for them (us)...
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM
I have the coupon code for the 40%, and it comes down to $99/year instead of $179.88. I'll message Sébastien privately with the code.
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM
I am willing to chip in also! Whatever solution really needs to have a chat going on while the meeting takes place, which is why I think hangouts don't work.
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Feature wise seems fine, and the cost should be fine for MS.

Can we try that before committing to a full year subscription? Could we try with the free one or just get on month? Can I reuse the code for a yearly if I use it for a monthly?
Dec 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2014 at 1:35 AM
BertrandLeRoy wrote:
Not sure it has chat though. They have a free trial, too.
Chat is supported. One can chat privately with another user, or message all. One difference from Lync though, the chat is text based (no rich text).

IMO, has it all , except one big downside (for some teams), it doesn't have video conferencing. I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker for Orchard.
Dec 15, 2014 at 9:00 PM
I have a trial month under pro, it works very well, we'll try to use it tomorrow. I will update the website with connection information.